Thursday, May 20, 2010

As American As Green Tomato Pie....Huh?

Okay first off, I swear this is not becoming a "book blog". 

When I was in college, I had the opportunity to study abroad in Spain for college credit.  I know, right??  All I had to do was write a report on one of the cities we were visiting on the trip, and present it to the other girls (and token guy) in my Studio.  Before the trip, one of my professors (total foodie) - invited us over for paella and to present our reports. 

The best part of the night was - literally - the best PIE I ever ate in my entire life. 

I had to know all the details of this recipe - immediately!  Of course the secret to the crust was her husband's perfect technique.  But the filling - oh, the yummy yummy filling - she informed me could be found in a beautiful book called "The Artful Pie".  She said she had baked all but 2 pies from the book so far and they had all been amazing.  I'm SOLD!


I promptly bought the book and baked the pie.  YUM!!

Truthfully, I have several flagged "to bake" - but have never made another since.  In 5 years.  One pie I have been incredibly curious about (because it sounds so weeeeeird) is the Backyard Green Tomato Pie.

So last night - I baked it!!


Backyard Green Tomato Pie

6 med. tart, firm apples, peeled, cut into chunks
4 med. or 6 small green tomatoes, unpeeled, cored, and cut into chunks
2 T currants (optional)
3/4 cup sugar
6 T all-purpose flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 t quick-cooking tapioca
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t salt

3 T unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Egg Wash and Topping: 1 large egg, beaten w/ 1 T milk, 1 T sugar
(this will make the crust beautiful and brown)

First step: Cut up the apples and tomatoes.  This literally takes about a DECADE!  I seriously needed one of those apple corer slicer doo-dads!


But since I don't - luckily I have a helper to keep me company while I peel and slice!



Second step:  Mix the sugar, flour, brown sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, ginger, salt - whatever else, I forget.



Third Step: Pour the dry mix over the apples and tomatoes and toss to coat



Fourth Step: Prepare your crust.  I'm not ashamed to say I cheated and bought Pillsbury which is pretty tasty!  My only complaint - they're not quite big enough.



Fifth Step: Put the apple and tomato mix into the crust.  I feel it's important at this stage to point out that the tomatoes are, in fact, still in the mix.  I didn't pick them out, this isn't a prank!  :o)



Sixth Step: Cut up small pieces of butter for top of fruit, put the top crust on, pinch the edges, mix the egg wash and brush over the top.



Last Step: BAKE IT!!
(@ 400-F for 20 min., reduce to 350 and bake for 40 min.)



And the moment of truth...



Pretty good!  Tasted like apple pie really.


Hope everyone has a great Thursday - the weekend is so close you can almost Taste It!

~ the Brunette




p.s. Interested in trying some Artful Pie Recipes on your own?  You can pick up the book on Amazon using this link:


I promise it won't disappoint!  Oh and the amazing pie from college is the Maple Sugar and Cream Pie if you decide to give it a test-run!  YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I am going to have to check out this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, i have to say when i first saw the name of the pie it did not sound tastey to me - but it looked DELISH!! Nice work, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete